SOLAS Chapter V Reg.19
Requires a ship’s Standard Magnetic Compass to be properly adjusted.
Requires the Magnetic Compass to be adjusted:
- No less often than intervals of 2 years
- After dry-docking
- After significant structual work
- When they are first installed
- If they become unrelible
- When repairs / structual alternations have been made to the ship that could affect its permanent and/or iducted magnetism.
- If electrical or magnetic equipment close to the compass is added, removed or altered.
- If the recorded deviations are excessive or when the compass shows physical defects
- At any time deemed necessary by the master for the safety of navigation.